Wednesday, December 7, 2016

"How does she do it All?"


I constantly have people in my life who ask this question
"How do you do it?"

"How do you..."
  • Work two jobs
  • Home school
  • Keep house
  • Cook for/feed kids with disphagia
  • Keep up with medical/Therapy appointments
  • Get enough sleep
  • Not fall apart

Here's my secret...I DON'T

I am just an exhausted mama trying her best to keep our family fed, housed, healthy and as happy as possible.
It's no magic formula and nothing that any other parent wouldn't do if needed.
I am not more strong, creative or resourceful than anyone.
I try my best every day to push through and be the best Mom, Wife, Employee that I can.

I fail on a regular basis to...
  • Keep my house clean
  • Hold my tongue
  • Get enough sleep
  • Spend enough time with my family
  • Cook at home every day...Salon nights I use whatever tips I make to bring home food :-)
  • I miss appointments when I forget to put them on my phone calendar
This life is hard

There's nothing glamorous about working two jobs, and even though one of them I do hair and have to look "put together". 
My other job I look like a crazy bag lady because comfort is #1 on a 10 hour overnight shift.
When I get home, no matter which job; it's to a chorus of "I'm hungry, what's for breakfast/dinner?"
I try my best to get my stuff done and spend time with my kids and husband, but sleep has to happen. 
So for the last two years my girls have jumped into bed with me and they take turns laying close to me while the other one holds my hand. 
They watch an educational show on the weekdays and on weekends a movie or kids show while I sleep. 
During the day they may only be in there a few minutes to get cuddles in or in the evening before my job starts they may fall asleep for the night.  
I pick up 1 or 2 kids every Thursday morning after working 10 hours and take them to one of 3 therapies...Physical, speech, or Occupational. And usually don't get done until close to 12pm. Then a quick nap afterwards or take 2 to ATA and then nap. 
My Friday "Day off" is ideally spent cleaning and getting laundry done, but work trainings or meetings tend to happen those days as well as the frequent doctor's appointment for 1-3 kids.
Homeschooling is fit into our day either before I nap or after, and sometimes after dinner.
I fall apart pretty frequently and hopefully it's in private, but more often than not its in the midst of whatever is difficult or stressful. 
I raise my voice more than I ought too when it feels like no one is listening to me.
I hope people can appreciate my honesty, and take heart that as I tell my kids "practice makes progress", and I feel that I am daily practicing to do and be better than I was yesterday. I may fail, but at least I try.
I look forward to one day having a "normal" schedule, whatever that my look like. 
I am not writing this for sympathy, I love my family and am thankful for my jobs.
But you never know from the outside looking in that the ones who look like they have everything under control are just juggling the chaos.
I am not superwoman, I am just "mom".
The best, hardest, most rewarding title I have ever had.
I hope that parts of this last couple years my kids can forget, but other parts I hope they remember fondly and can see how hard we worked to give them the best life we can.

Heading to ATA with Nene and Sanna


No comments:

Post a Comment